BelieverSpace The Christian Social Network

What about the rapture?

Poll: When is the rapture?
November 9, 2013 by

Do you know every religion in the world is waiting for the antichrist right now?
....But they believe it will be their messiah?

Isn't it compelling that the whole world awaits someone who will fit their beliefs?
Muslims wait for "Mahdi"
Jews await Messiah,
Buddhist await "Maitreya",
New agers wait for the next Ascended Master.
Hindus wait for the final incarnation of Vishnu in the current Mahayuga.
Even freemasons and Illuminati have a coming world leader!
Pre-tribulationist Christians also think Jesus is next on the scene.
There's more...

We must admit,Pre, mid, post can't all be true.
We should also know that satan is the liar who has these false teachings out there.
So if he has injected a false timing of the rapture, do we believe he also has a purpose for this?

I also keep coming across people who think the rapture isn't even Biblical!
This idea must be rejected because the event, also known as the resurrection which kicks off the "Day of the Lord" is written within the Bible.

The word "rapture" comes from "caught up" The words "caught up" are translated from the Greek word harpazo, which means "to carry off," "snatch up," or "grasp hastily." The translation from harpazo to "rapture" involves two steps: first, harpazo became the Latin word raptus; second, raptus became the English word "rapture."

1 Thessalonians 4:17
"Then we which are alive and remain shall be CAUGHT UP together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord."

The word "Bible" is not in the Bible.
The word "Trinity" is not in the Bible.

So many shy away from this topic.
They often say, "oh, it doesn't matter what you believe about the rapture"
Or they say, "all I know is I'm going when the time comes"
Well AMEN to catching our ride, but knowing about our blessed hope should be of utmost importance to Christians.
This is the first time we will be meeting or seeing Jesus face to face.
This is the single greatest event to hit the universe since Jesus first coming.
We should be excited and well informed on the topic!

2 Peter 1:20
"Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation."

Since that is true, then knowing the timing is also discernible.
The rapture is prophecy!

Revelation 19:10
"....for the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy."
You are CORRECT in understanding that the event of being "caught up to be with the Lord" will occur only AFTER THE RESURRECTION!

For that reason, we should not use the word "Rapture" in referring to the catching up to heaven with Jesus--simply because the word has come to mean the false teaching of perverted, man-invented doctrine of which you speak. There will be NO RAPTURE as commonly taught among the religious fictions popular today!
I admire your zeal. But we must study the Word of God as the Word of God comes. And "rapture" is a more pure word than "caught up" is. The translations have changed the root word times over. Of course "harpazo" just doesn't have that ring to it. ;-) ;-)

Despite the etymology, we must not accommodate false beliefs with adaptions to the Word, but we must combat false beliefs with the pure Word in its given format. Rather than baby-proofing the house, we house-proof the baby.
Above all, not dividing over simple matters, whilst focusing on the pressing matters at hand.
God bless Paul, and thank you for your comment.

[The word "rapture" comes from "caught up" The words "caught up" are translated from the Greek word harpazo, which means "to carry off," "snatch up," or "grasp hastily." The translation from harpazo to "rapture" involves two steps: first, harpazo became the Latin word raptus; second, raptus became the English word "rapture."]
There will be a resurrection of ALL persons to appear before Christ. Resurrection is not rapture. Those who are dead in Christ are now with him; he will bring them when he comes. Then they will be raised/transformed each in a spiritual body, glorious beyond our understanding--along with those who are alive at his coming, who also will be transformed in an instant. I refuse to use the word rapture for two reasons: the word itself is not in the biblical text, and the "catching up to be with the Lord" is nothing like the popularly held views of the so-called Rapture, which are entirely fictional. Rather, the Lord's coming, resurrection, and final judgment all precede our gathering up to God's heaven forever. Christ comes once, when every eye shall see him, and it is correct to say that these events all happen then.
Oh no, that is NOT the teaching of the Bible!

Christ is not coming twice; neither is there any 1000 years going on here! (Numbers and representations in Revelation cannot be taken literally--they are of SYMBOLIC meaning!)

Here is what the epistles teach us, and it is simple--if you keep man's fictional teachings out of it!

Christ returns ONCE in power and glory, at which coming the entire physical universe is dissolved in fire (including this earth). ALL THE DEAD, whether wicked or righteous, are raised at this coming and brought before him in judgment and all are assigned their eternal fate; the wicked are turned into hell, while the righteous (in Christ) are taken to heaven's glory (this is the only "catching up" to be evermore with the Lord). THERE IS NO MORE "TIME"! Time has crashed into eternity. Jesus said of those who believe on him: "I WILL RAISE HIM UP ON THE LAST DAY." (So, that proves the error of the notions you have accepted.)
You are greatly mistaken in this matter, Newness. You are following a denominational interpretation (man-teachings which have arisen about this subject). Christ Jesus said, "My kingdom is not of this world." It is not some future millennial reign on earth..."the kingdom of heaven is WITHIN YOU," Jesus said, wherever God's will reigns in our hearts TODAY. When Jesus comes, the apostle tells us that he "will deliver up the kingdom to the Father," not rule on this earth, which no longer will exist. All the material universe with its elements and compounds will have been dissolved, and what is REAL will be revealed in that Day.

10 But the Day of the Lord will come like a thief. On that Day the heavens will disappear with a shrill noise, the heavenly bodies will burn up and be destroyed, and the earth with everything in it will vanish.
Christian doctrine comes from the epistles. Revelation is a book of symbolic imagery, and its meaning is hidden from those who do not interpret its symbolism correctly. You do not understand what is the "first resurrection." It is described in Ephesians 2: the raising in Christ of the sinner's soul from being DEAD IN SIN, being made a new creation in Christ to become DEAD TO SIN (also called being "born again")--THIS is the first resurrection, over which the "second death" (hell or the lake of fire) has no power. The first death is the death which occurs when sin separates us from God. The first resurrection is the new birth, as I have said, when the soul is made alive in Christ. The second death is eternity in the "lake of fire" which symbolizes hell. The second resurrection is, of course, the resurrection of the dead, which occurs at Christ's coming.

In his first chapter of Revelation, John himself hints at what Revelation 20 signifies, saying, "He loves us, and by his sacrificial death he has freed us from our sins and made us a KINGDOM OF PRIESTS (a "royal priesthood," as Peter says in 1 Peter 2:9) to serve his God and Father." This is not something in the future; it is HERE and NOW, in the KINGDOM OF GOD which is ALREADY COME, since nearly 2000 years ago. The "1000 years" is just an expression of the fullness of time until God's purpose is completed. Other numbers, like 12, 7, 12x12x1000 (144,000) are simply variations of the same symbolism denoting perfection, completion or fullness or the emphasis of completeness (as in the 12x12x1000). This is illustrated in the "seven spirits before the throne," etc.

Again, it is the EPISTLES where we find our faith and doctrine, along with Jesus's teachings in the gospels, of course. Our doctrine must match the emphasis and teaching that we find given by Christ's apostles in their epistles!
What part of "my kingdom is NOT OF THIS WORLD" do you not understand, Newness?

Christ's kingdom is a SPIRITUAL KINGDOM: "The kingdom of God is WITHIN YOU."

And again, what part of "I will raise him up at the LAST DAY" do you not comprehend?
There is no more time following his coming, only eternity.
Last update on December 19, 6:01 am by PaulLovesGod.
The LAST DAY means the last day, Newness. Why do you want to add 1000 years after it? You are regurgitating man-teachings which contradict the Bible. And you are always going to be off-track if you interpret Revelation literally! The rod of iron is symbolic of the word of God, which is unbending. Christ rules NOW, not in some future earthly kingdom. The apostle plainly says that when Christ returns, he will "deliver up the kingdom to the Father." We are now fighting spiritual warfare--just look at the opposition from pseudo-Christianity, paganism, Islam, etc., all around us! This now is the spiritual warfare symbolically described as occurring on the plains of Megiddo. There is no literal battle to come in which Christ will lead armies against literal armies and blood will rise to the horses' bridle bits! Our weapons are not carnal; our battle is against spiritual forces of wickedness!
Wow, Newness...this is twisting the scripture to fit your denominational teaching and theology. "Several LAST DAYS?" When Jesus said, "I will raise him up on the LAST DAY," he meant exactly what he said. You do not get your end-times teaching from the epistles but from your misunderstanding of the Apocalypse/Revelation. What keeps us from the "second death"? It is the regeneration and rebirth of our souls dead in sin, the first resurrection, described in Ephesians 2 and symbolized in Revelation as the "first resurrection" which gives us protection against the lake of fire or eternal death/damnation.
Again, what part of "my kingdom is not of this world" and "if it were, then should my servants fight" do you not understand? We are not looking forward to a literal war of Armageddon--we are in the fight for truth right now, and we had better be on the right side!
Again, my friend, your thinking is colored by man's teaching which misunderstands the scriptures. When Isaiah speaks of Mount Zion, the Holy Spirit is speaking about the New Testament church of God, the kingdom of heaven--NOT some literal Israel and city of Jerusalem. All the promises of God are inherited by his true "chosen" who are in Christ, the true Israel, his church. Christ is ruling out of Mt. Zion NOW.
I don't have any denominational experience or background, although I am familiar with ALL such beliefs. My source is the holy scriptures illumined by the Holy Spirit. You make the same mistake as the Jews of Jesus's day (even the disciples, apparently, until the Spirit was received at Pentecost, expected an earthly reign; after the Spirit was given, you hear no more about it, because they understood the nature of the kingdom, revealed by the One who "will lead you into all truth." The Spirit of God is necessary to know the things of God and to understand the scriptures. And, I am very well acquainted with all the scriptures, as well.
I teach what the Bible teaches in the epistles, not adding or subtracting to it. Most of what calls itself "evangelical" Christianity is SADLY CONFUSED ABOUT THE END-TIMES, caught up in the nonsense taught by Scoffield, Tim LeHaye, etc.! You can see that right here, with all kinds of notions NOT TAUGHT by the apostles in their letters. Read Peter, for example. No mention of "the Rapture" in the Bible. As for claiming that only the RIGHTEOUS are resurrected, how then is there to be a Judgment of all men?

How can you say, Newness, that the wicked will not also be raised? Jesus makes it very plain:
28“Do not be amazed at this, for a time is coming when all who are in their graves will hear his voice 29and come out—those who have done what is good will rise to live, and those who have done what is evil will rise to be condemned. (John 5) How else would the wicked be able to suffer eternal punishment?
Sometimes I truly wonder if people actually READ their Bibles or just base their thinking off of what their preachers have told them and TBN. THEN when you post solid 100% undeniable proof, I truly wonder if they read it or if they just keep going with what their preacher told them.

So here is a tough question; what do we (students of the Bible) call a future event foretold by God?
Or anything that God has said (through prophets) or written (in the Bible) that has yet to come to pass?
One huge hint would be that this strictly unique characteristic is something ONLY God can do…..anyone?

PROPHECY!
(I know…I'm trying to have fun and make this easy)

Here is the next question: Does the rapture meet the qualifications of being prophecy?
A). Future event
B). Has yet to come to pass
=YES…it is absolutely a prophecy! 100% real deal. And if you ask my opinion, I will tell you it is in the TOP 3 ALL-TIME BEST prophecies we have ever been given! Amen? This is why it is our "blessed hope" Jesus return! Our first time meeting Jesus face to face!
Does it get any better than that?

Ok, but what is the point of all this?
HERE is the point my dear brothers and sisters:

Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.

So wait, God is telling us that the rapture teachings of the Bible aren't of private interpretation? Does that mean we can know the day or the hour? OH, well….NO….of course not. We are not going to get confused here, we will stay right on track!
No one knows the day or hour! That is from the Master Himself: Matthew 24:36 and Mark 13:32.

What this IS telling us is that ALL that the Bible has to say on the subject of the rapture is NOT PRIVATE.
It does not give dates, therefor dates do not apply……BUT…

5 But of the times and the seasons, brethren, ye have no need that I write unto you.
2 For yourselves know perfectly that the day of the Lord so cometh as a thief in the night.
1 Thessalonians 5

This is Paul speaking about the rapture! Just like Jesus said in Matthew 24:36 and Mark 13:32. that no one will know the day or hour.
But where does Paul get this "thief in the night"? That's easy….Jesus! Just a few verses past MAtt 24:36 (no one knows day or hour) in Matt 24:43-44 Jesus said:
"But know this, that if the goodman of the house had known in what watch the thief would come, he would have watched, and would not have suffered his house to be broken up. Therefore be ye also ready: for in such an hour as ye think not the Son of man cometh."

PLEASE BEAR WITH ME….it's worth it!
This is really amazing! We have just been given several ways of determining where the rapture will occur in the timeline of events!
NOT THE DAY OR HOUR…..but the "times and seasons" as Paul put it. He said, "But of the times and the seasons, brethren, ye have no need that I write unto you. For yourselves know perfectly ….."

Know what?
#1) "that the day of the Lord"
#2) "comes as a thief"

We'll work backwards since we've already discussed the "coming as a thief"
What was Jesus and Paul speaking about coming as a thief?

Simply open up Matthew 24 and 1 Thessalonians 4-5
In Matthew 24, from verse 23 all the way to Matthew 25 verse 13 Jesus says the same thing over and over again.
WHAT does He say?
"1Watch therefore, for ye know neither the day nor the hour wherein the Son of man cometh."
What do we not know? Because He comes as a thief!
Jesus is repeating Himself over and over again so we get this fact.

Now how about 1 Thess 4-5?
16 For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first: 17 then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air:

That is the rapture!
But does it remind you of something?
Matthew 24:30-31
30 And then shall appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven: and then shall all the tribes of the earth mourn, and they shall see the Son of man coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory.
31 And he shall send his angels with a great sound of a trumpet, and they shall gather together his elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other.

Sounds really familiar to this rapture glimpse in 1 Corinthians 15:52
52 In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed."

Boy oh boy is God exact! He does not play games or make it confusing! When He says "no prophecy of the scripture is of ANY private interpretation." 2 Peter 1:20

We are by no means done yet. Here comes the big one! We just went through all of that to establish that Paul and Jesus are on the same page.
Because many would have us believe those are 2 different events. They certainly are not! There are NOT 2 separate comings "as thief's in the night" And were going to prove it right now, again!

Now we are going to read 1 Thess 4-5 together as it was meant to be read. There were never chapters and verses in the original text, and as you can see when you read this, Paul does not skip a beat between the chapters either….
" For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first: 17 then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord. 18 Wherefore comfort one another with these words.
But of the times and the seasons, brethren, ye have no need that I write unto you. 2 For yourselves know perfectly that the day of the Lord so cometh as a thief in the night. 3 For when they shall say, Peace and safety; then sudden destruction cometh upon them, as travail upon a woman with child; and they shall not escape. 4 But ye, brethren, are not in darkness, that that day should overtake you as a thief."

There we have it! 100% proof that "the day of the Lord" is the same exact event and time as the rapture. And it even goes PERFECTLY with Jesus description in Matthew 24 and 25. We have Jesus coming like a thief (when no one expects it) And we have the trumpet of God. AND we have the "gathering of elect" or the "catching away" by being "caught up" We also have "eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage" (Matthew 24:38) and "Peace and safety" (1 Thess 5:3)
And we also have "sudden destruction cometh upon them" (Matt 24:51 and 1 Thess 5:3)

All perfect parallel JUST AS GOD SAID…. "no prophecy of the scripture is of ANY private interpretation."

But wait, lets be 100% absolutely sure. What is "the day of the Lord" and where else is this described?
Actually it's ALL OVER THE BIBLE…NT and OT.
We'll begin in the OT….Isaiah 13:9-11
"Behold, the day of the Lord cometh, cruel both with wrath and fierce anger, to lay the land desolate: and he shall destroy the sinners thereof out of it.
10 For the stars of heaven and the constellations thereof shall not give their light: the sun shall be darkened in his going forth, and the moon shall not cause her light to shine.
11 And I will punish the world for their evil, and the wicked for their iniquity; and I will cause the arrogancy of the proud to cease, and will lay low the haughtiness of the terrible."

EXACTLY as Paul and Jesus describe it in Matt 24 and 1 Thess 5.
Now where else?
Joel 2:31
31 The sun shall be turned into darkness, and the moon into blood, before the great and terrible day of the Lord come."
Exactly the same words and same events….sun turns dark, moon into blood…..what's that called? "Day of the Lord"
AMEN!!!

MORE?
Rev 6:12
When he opened the sixth seal, I looked, and behold, ithere was a great earthquake, and the sun became black as sackcloth, the full moon became like blood, and the stars of the sky fell to the earth as the fig tree sheds its winter fruit when shaken by a gale.
Now do you want to know if it's a pretrib rapture….a mid tribe rapture or a post tribe rapture?

Here is your answer:
Matthew 24
29 Immediately after the tribulation of those days shall the sun be darkened, and the moon shall not give her light, and the stars shall fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens shall be shaken:
30 And then shall appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven: and then shall all the tribes of the earth mourn, and they shall see the Son of man coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory.
31 And he shall send his angels with a great sound of a trumpet, and they shall gather together his elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other.

There we have it. 100% undeniable evidence that the rapture A.K.A the resurrection A.K.A "the day of the Lord" as Paul clearly describes in 1 Thess 4-5 is the exact same event Jesus describes in Matt 24. AFTER THE TRIBULATION.

And for the record, when has God EVER taken His people BEFORE tribulation?
Did He take Moses and the Israelites out of Egypt with a magical translation, or did He bring them through the tribulation by FAITH?
Did He take David and Israel over the Philistines with a quick whisk, or was it by faith they overcame?
Did God take Daniel away from the lion's den, or did he go through it by faith?
Did God take Jonah away from to Nineveh on a cruise liner, or did he have a trial of faith in the fish?
Did Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego escape the furnace all together, or did God bring them through it by faith?
Did the Jews escape the horrors of nazi Germany with ease, or did they go through tribulation only to be made into a nation in one day (fulfilling the prophecies)?
Did Jesus escape the cross and zip right up to heaven, or was it by faith that He endured the trial for all our sins?

Is the Lord going to change His methods in these last days and zap us out of here before tribulation, when the world needs us the most?
I'll give you the answer:

"For I, the LORD, do not change"
Malachi 3:6

Is Jesus going to change things up on us here in these last days?

Jesus Christ is the same, yesterday, today, and forever!
Hebrews 13:8

"Confirming the souls of the disciples, and exhorting them to continue in the faith, and that we must through much tribulation enter into the kingdom of God."
Acts 14:22
Sorry about that last post gentlemen...I kinda jumped in mid-drift and went off a bit.

Could someone fill me in on the exact misunderstanding happening here?
I want to join the fun! (the fun of discovering God's Word together!!!)

I've used this verse before, and I'm not afraid to use it again....

Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.

What does this verse mean to you?
What it means to me is 3-fold...

#1) if it's revealed prophecy then it's NOT a secret.
#2) if your interpretation CANNOT be backed by Scripture then IT'S FALSE.
#3) if 2 Peter 1:20 exists (yes, it's right up there) and we have not witnessed or experienced the FULFILLMENT the it remains a PUBLIC PROPHECY.

Now a note on UNFULFILLED prophecy:

Hebrews 9
And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment:
28 So Christ was once offered to bear the sins of many; and unto them that look for him shall he appear the second time without sin unto salvation.

Are you saved? Do you sin?
Because when He returns, the saved will begin life WITHOUT SIN. This is final salvation.

Revelation 1:7
BEHOLD, HE IS COMING WITH THE CLOUDS, and every eye will see Him, even those who pierced Him; and all the tribes of the earth will mourn over Him. So it is to be. Amen.

Has this happened? Have we seen Him? Is this written in Scripture as being fulfilled?

Here's a cool passage from 1 Corinthians 15:

22 For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive.
23 But every man in his own order: Christ the firstfruits; afterward they that are Christ's at his coming.
24 Then cometh the end, when he shall have delivered up the kingdom to God, even the Father; when he shall have put down all rule and all authority and power.
25 For he must reign, till he hath put all enemies under his feet.
26 The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death.
27 For he hath put all things under his feet. But when he saith all things are put under him, it is manifest that he is excepted, which did put all things under him.
28 And when all things shall be subdued unto him, then shall the Son also himself be subject unto him that put all things under him, that God may be all in all.